Sunday, December 2, 2012

forward, Forward, FORWARD!

Forward. This is not new information for anyone who has had more than 2 riding lessons. A forward horse is the foundation on which everything else is built. And just to be clear, forward is not fast. Forward is a horse who is tracking up to the point where its back begins to swing. Ya, I made up that definition, but I feel like that's the best I can describe it to watch. To feel it, a forward horse is going the speed you dictate, *with ease*, and be able to move to different speeds with minimal effort from the rider. A truly forward horse is also "on your leg" - willing and able to collect, extend, go faster, or go slower, all at your own discretion.

The more I work with young horses, the more I realize the true importance of teaching a horse forwardness from the very beginning. And not only forward, but to be ON your leg, listening and reacting to every squeeze. A forward horse encourages loosening of the back, and, when ready, a light contact will often result in an easily-suppled horse.

You shouldn't ever have to kick your horse. If you feel like you have to, you should be using your spur or whip instead: ask, tell, DEMAND. Forward is oh-so important, and lightness to the leg is part of this. If you feel like taking contact slows your horse down, your contact is either too harsh, but it is more likely that your horse is not truly forward. Of course, this has to be trained - taking contact and using a light leg support, or a whip if necessary to teach them forward must always be maintained. However, if, with even a normal contact, you feel like you have to push and push and PUSH your horse into your hand, lighten the hand and just work on FORWARD.

On my own young horse, I made the mistake of taking too much contact, too soon, and I have been paying for it. It is so much easier to do things right the first time, but it is never too late to correct your mistake. I spent much of the summer huffing and pufffing, and sweating, and panting, pushing and tryyying to keep Flora moving even somewhat forward. Sure, she looked good. She was in a "frame". But could I collect to any extent? Not at all. Could I extend her stride without pumping my legs on her sides? Nope. Did she stay connected and in that "frame" if I even tried? Heck no. Did I feel like my leg was connected to my hand. No way.

I've spent all fall, and a lot of the summer fixing this mistake. As a previous blog will tell you, the George Morris clinic really helped me. But watching a few young horses I've worked with has solidified my position on this forward issue. Watching them with a rider who is trying to pull them into a frame, as they are barely jogging along and she is exhausted because she is pushing, pushing pushing... watching them go from walk to halt and dive onto the forehand... wow.

Sure, everyone knows their horse should be forward. But I'm not so sure they understand why, nor what the implications might be of not. A horse that is behind your leg, or not just not forward, stops much easier at a jump. It is more likely to be hollow in its back, causing soreness to its back and hind end. Asking for any type on movement on the flat becomes a complete chore. Finding and making distances to a jump becomes next to impossible.

Forward is the first step on the dressage training scale, and it's there for a reason (ok, so it says "Rhythm", but with "tempo and energy"- it's the same thing!). You cannot build without a solid foundation, and that is a forward horse. There should not be a such a thing as a lazy horse. If your horse is lazy, it's because it was not trained properly, to be sensitive to the leg, or you're not using your leg and external aids properly. And hey, don't take offence. I'm still fixing my mistake ;)




No comments: