Friday, February 17, 2012

Be Thankful For What You Have

I totally started writing a blog post this time last week, about how lucky I was and how I felt like everything just seemed to be going in the write direction. I took a break to go out and get stuff for dinner, and promptly got my first speeding ticket, ever. Even though he dropped it down to a minimal fine and no points were deducted (honestly, I'm surprised I'd never gotten one til then), it's a total pain in the butt. It also sort of made me feel like a complete liar/killed the writing mood, so I decided to wait til the end of this week to announce my exciting news: I managed to land an AMAZING riding job.

Through a connection - apparently I have them! - I was able to be hired by a warmblood breeding facility as a rider for their young stock and some of their older, more "going" equines. So far, it's been great. I mean, really, it's pretty much my dream job. I show up, the horses are groomed for me, I just throw tack on, and go. The atmosphere is phenomenal, and my boss doesn't belittle me if I happen to make any mistakes- something I've found fairly prevalent in the A circuit world. It's just so nice.

Needless to say, after riding 5-6 horses, 4 days this week, and two days last week, I am exhausted. I was once used to that sort of riding, but it seems oh so long ago now, and I wondered if I'd ever be able to do it again. It's pretty hard to get riding fit when you're only riding one of your own babies, three times a week. What's reallly nice is that I've managed to lose some of that weight that crept back to me over the winter- take that, flab! However, poor little Flora has mostly been ignored since I started.

It's funny how you manipulate things in your mind to make them seem just how you want them to. In my mind, because I'd get home exhausted, freezing, and starving, I couldn't be bothered to do anything with Flora. In my head, these purebred warmbloods I was working with were way nicer than her, and I got super bummed out, wondering what I was going to do with her, if doing anything at all was even worth it.

Well, today, I got a kick in the pants from yours truly. I managed to convince myself to go ride her, and what a treat! I couldn't help but think that my little dutch warmblood/tb mare was easily as nice, or even nicer than half the horses I've been working with. She understands what my leg means, not only to go forward, but to bend around it. She knows how to work in a frame, and lord does she ever have a big, beautiful canter. It's pretty crazy the things you (ie: me) take for granted, but it made me feel really lucky to have her, and was definitely encouraging.

After our ride, I decided to confirm my spot in the jumping clinic taking place at our barn on Sunday. We're just doing the 2' class, but I'm really looking forward to it :) Updates - hopefully good ones - on that to come later :)

No comments: