Saturday, January 14, 2012

I can see how this could get addictive...

So I'm finally doing it. I'm finally starting my blog. Well, actually, apparently I started it over 4 years ago, I just never wrote anything. First year of university, when I created this blog, may have had something to do with that.

"What's changed?" you may ask. "I'm not sure" is the easiest answer. I like to write, but that's nothing new. After four years of school and writing about things you don't care about, I think I need an outlet to write about something I AM interested in. The only thing I can write about, any time, any where? Horses, of course. I may not always speak up in person, but I have lots of opinions, stories, and maybe even some advice when it comes to our equine friends.

Also, even after four years of business school, even after a lifetime in the horseworld and business, even though I've experienced how miserable many horse businesspeople are... I still want to be part of it. I still want to train and teach and coach. I know you don't make much money. I know it's a lot of work. I know a lot of stuff about the industry that makes me dislike it. But I still want to do this. Do I have a business plan? No, but I do have a rough draft of sorts worked out in my head.

I don't sound like the most confident person, do I? I'm not, at least not outwardly. I've never been the sort of person to toot my own horn. However, I am very confident in my riding, training and teaching ability. I just need to get out there and prove it and this blog is here to help.

I started thinking about memorable names. Anyone can name their business after them self. But whose initials happen to spell a frequently used indefinite article that prefaces what their business is all about? AN Equestrian. It's perfect. It's my initials, but it's also who I am: an equestrian. Coming from my business school education, it's also perfect because it does not define me too narrowly, meaning I can branch out in many different areas and blah blah blah. See, I learned something in school! I'm sure my marketing profs would be proud.

Anywho, this is me. I am a recent graduate from Acadia University (GO AXEMEN!) with a Bachelors of Business Administration. I grew up on a farm and started riding before I could walk (Ok, so my mom had to hold me on). I've competed in Dressage, Hunter, Jumper, Equitation and Eventing. I've been a working slave-I mean student, a top show jumping and hunter groom, and rider for an A circuit stable. I've coached many riders, mostly beginner and intermediate. I'm currently working as a financial manager and part time labourer for a real estate investment company I've partnered with. That sounds pretty cool, right? It is. But you what I think about while I'm putting the final coat of paint in a newly finished basement? Or while I'm updating the budget? Horses. And I truly believe that what I daydream about, is what I should pursue.

Another day, I will fill you in on some of my experience, current projects, etc, but I think I've written enough for now. I can definitely see how people get into this sorta stuff :)

No comments: